November 2015 Booster Club Meeting Minutes
Amy Hopper, Kikka Hanazawa, Neda Ghadoushi, Julie Silliman, Mark Landay
PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS (Amy Hopper)
- Thank you for coming. Lucky to have Kikka in the Treasurer position. She has taken on a huge responsibility and has great ideas for our future.
TREASURER/BUDGET (Kikka Hanazawa)
- This year’s goal $560,000
- Budget includes paying for one teacher.
- 90% of the budget used for student programs.
- Working towards class size reduction.
PRINCIPAL’S & TEACHERS’ MESSAGE (Absent)
ANNUAL GIVING UPDATE
- Will renew Annual Giving campaign. 35% participation.
- Party book was successful. Received stock gifts as well.
- “Thank yous” went out to those who contributed.
- Class Ambassadors will approach the others.
- AG is able to receive Stock gifts. It benefits the donor and the recipient.
- Kikka mentioned that the 3 year license is expiring on Digital Learning. Expenses will go up for hardware replacement costs and training.
- Discussion about creating targeted campaigns (for example, Digital campaign for parents who support digital learning.)
- Kikka has reached out to parents in technology for support in new programs/curriculum and new computers. Discussion about Apple versus windows continues weighing cost versus practicality for the students.
- More discussion about targeting a fundraiser specifically for computers.
We need volunteers for Shopify to breakdown:
1. Social media person
2. Website manager
4. Blogging the chronicle
5. Google groups
6. Need e-commerce person/team (customer support)
- Discussion about the Canyon Website overhaul. The site looks dated.
GOVERNING BOARD REPORT
- The evening meetings make it difficult for teachers who live far away. They are paid for daytime hours but not night time.
- Booster parents attended the Governing Board meeting.
- Suggested a joint Booster and Governing Board meeting once a quarter to connect both entities and help them work together.
- Governing Board will do planning for digital change.
- We are reaching out to parents for both committees.
- Governing and Booster --Discussion about a better volunteer structure and reaching out to the parent/guardians community. E-blast or a coordinator to facilitate communication between the three.
- Request that Principal/Nicole presents budget/district plan sooner. Technology needs to be included. It’s the last year on the hardware warrantee. Need to budget a 2 yr.
- Possibly create a committee for technology-- a capital plan for digital- Fundraiser.
GLOW PARTY FEEDBACK:
- The party was a success.
- There were concerns about safety around the basketball court and lights on the field.
Discussion about traffic on Entrada.
- The traffic cops have not been great.
- Drivers continue to drive recklessly near the school.
- Parents jay walk.
- The Santa Monica community is working on putting a sidewalk/barrier along the sidewalk for safety.
Request Nicole be more visible to enforce the school traffic rules.
Suggestion to write down license plates of driving offenders.
NEW Parents MUST attend the Traffic Safety meeting at the beginning of the year.
Suggest we go to Nicole with our needs.
- The event was successful. The school broke even financially.
- Increase school pride. Perhaps do more in the future.