Daily attendance is key to allowing our children to reach their dreams of a successful future. September is recognized as National School Attendance Awareness Month. Although we excel in all academic areas, we fall below the district norm in our attendance rates, which not only affects our state ranking, but ultimately can have a negative impact on your child's achievement.
As we begin the new school year, I want to remind all of our Canyon families of the importance of developing good attendance habits and overcoming any challenges associated with poor attendance.
Every absence makes a difference at every grade level. Every day missed is a day of instruction missed that can’t be recovered. Research shows that two to four missed days in the first month of school can predict chronic absence throughout the year.
School success goes hand in hand with being in school every day!
Did You Know?
- Many absences, even in kindergarten, can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing just a day or two every month can make it harder to learn to read by the third grade.
- Students with too many absences struggle to catch up, even with take-home assignments.
What Can You Do?
- Develop a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Help your child lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Avoid missing school unless a child is truly sick and seek help if chronic illness is a challenge. Check with our school nurse or office staff if you are not sure about when to keep your child at home due to illness.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors, or other parents for advice on how to make him/her feel comfortable and excited about learning.
- Reach out to a family member, a neighbor, or another parent if you are having trouble getting your student to school.
- Arrange medical appointments when school is not in session.
- Avoid extended vacations when school is in session.
All parents have hopes and dreams for their children. Being in school every day will enable children to do well in school, and graduate from high school ready for work or college. Starting now, we can help our students by building awareness about the connection between attendance and school success. Please let us know how we can best support you and your child(ren) so that they can show up for school on time every day.
Thank you for working collaboratively with us to ensure great attendance for your child(ren) during the 2017-2018 school year!