Thanks for a great week!
Congratulations on a great first week of school. I hope that everyone enjoyed meeting their teachers, reconnecting with friends, making new friends and getting excited about what this school year will bring. We are off to a great start!
I want to thank you for making sure your child was at school this week. We started off with a 98% attendance rate which is AMAZING! Let’s all do our part to keep the percentage high by avoiding any absences that do not fall under excused absences such as illness.
As we worked our way through the week, I jotted down a few things that I would like to remind all of our families about….
- You may have noticed that there are new parking signs in Zone A (outside of kindergarten rooms). Please read these signs carefully as the times and duration permitted for parking have changed. There is no parking in this zone during drop off or pick up time.
- Please do not drop your child off before 7:45am. There is no supervision until this time. It is not safe for them to be on campus without supervision. Please also be aware that there is no playing on the apparatus before or after school. This area is only to be used during the instructional day under close supervision by aides/teachers.
- Once the 8:15 bell rings, we ask that all parents make their way off campus. Please avoid hanging around and/or having discussions outside of the classrooms. This can be distracting for our teachers and students and makes it challenging for us to keep track of who is on campus. If you are staying on campus to volunteer or for some other activity, please return to the office to sign in and get a visitor/volunteer badge.
- If your child gets injured off campus, please do not send them with crutches, a brace, a splint, etc. unless you have a doctor’s note. They will not be permitted to enter the classroom until we have documentation from the doctor. Your child will also be required to stay in the office or library during recess and lunch for his/her protection.
- There will be one more new (or returning!) parent orientation on Wednesday, Aug. 24th at 8:30am. If you would like a refresher or have not attended a meeting, please join me as I will be going over important school information as well as traffic safety procedures.
- Please be sure to show up for your assigned traffic duty time. We count on all of you to help keep our kids safe at drop off and pick up times. We had a few no-shows this week which left for unsupervised and unsafe areas for our children. If you are not able to fulfill your traffic duty, please find a replacement for your designated zone.
- Hopefully you have received the Chronicle that indicated that Back to School Night is on Tuesday, August 30th (new date!) Presentations for grades 3-5 will take place between 5:30-6:15 and presentations for grades K-2 will take place from 6:30-7:15. At 6:15, please come on over by the Star Room to say hi to me and to meet many of the Booster and Governing Council Reps. This is an ADULT ONLY evening. Do not bring your child(ren) on campus. There is no supervision. This is a great opportunity to meet your child’s teacher and learn about all of the exciting things that will be going on in the classroom this year.
- Opening packets are now available. They must be completed every year for every child (this is different than what you filled out when you registered). Please visit Canyoncharter.com for the link to the opening packet. If you aren’t able to print it out, we can provide a hard copy in the office. This very important paperwork is due by Friday, August 26th.
- If you are picking up school supplies at Staples this weekend, please take advantage of the buy one-get one free paper deal. All paper donations can be dropped off in our school office. Thank you!
I am completing our first week with so much pride and joy in our Canyon community. I have been surrounded this week by happy and smiling children, dedicated and rejuvenated teachers and committed and eager parents. I couldn’t ask for anything more! Thank you for making our first week such a great success! I am looking forward to an exceptional year for all of us!