Kinder & TK
YOUR CHILD'S FIRST DAY
Please plan on arriving in your classroom by 8:10 when the first bell rings and be prepared to remain in your child's class until 9:00 a.m. Keep in mind that it will be hectic finding parking so plan accordingly. You can review the traffic maps/information in the traffic safety section of our site.
Once you arrive in class you will be able to explore the room with your child and have an opportunity to meet your child's teacher during a short orientation. During the orientation your child will be at supervised play on the kinder yard.
After leaving your child's classroom, please join the Booster Club in the auditorium, for coffee and snacks and a chance to meet other Canyon parents and principal Nicole Sheard for a new parent orientation, signup for your slot now. You will also hear about ways to get involved as a parent at Canyon.
KINDER HOURS AND PICKUP:
Kindergarten hours will be from 8:10am - 1:40pm from August 14th-24th. All kindergarten and TK students will be dismissed at 1:40pm every Tuesday and Thursday, and at 2:50pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday starting the week of August 27th.
Please pickup your child on time from the Kinder Yard, unless he/she is going to STAR.
SNACK AND LUNCH:
Each day, your child should bring a separate snack bag with a small healthy snack and drink. Please label all your bags. You should also pack a lunch for your child if he/she will be staying for STAR. No glass containers.
A hot lunch is available to purchase for $3.00, but we ask for the first few days of school to pack your child's lunch. Hot lunch procedures will be discussed with kinder and TK families shortly after the start of school.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM: STAR
If you have not yet signed your child up for STAR, the after school program, and wish to do so, you should contact Lily Velado at 310-573-1658 as soon as possible. STAR is a popular program and does fill up.
Children who are not enrolled at STAR are expected to leave school grounds after dismissal time, as there is no additional supervision provided for kindergarten students at this time.
CLOTHING & BACKPACKS:
Students should wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes and clothing that allows them to safely participate in school and sports activities. Please label all clothing.
Please send your child to kindergarten with ONLY a lunchbox or lunch bag. Please do NOT send a backpack. We're trying to conserve space and make it easier for students to access their cubbies and manage their own belongings.
We are as excited as you and your children to have a wonderful experience at Canyon and we look forward to seeing you on Tuesday, August 14th, 2018.
You can help your child be successful at school:
- Encourage your child to dress him/herself.
- Practice opening his/her own snack, backpack, etc
- Set aside a special time to read to your child each day. Ask your child to retell the story in his or her own words.
- Set up play dates with children of the same age as your child.
- Help your child learn to use words when angry or upset. Give examples of ways to express feelings.
- Ask your child to pick up toys at the end of play. Thank your child for helping.
- Have your child make choices. Making choices builds independence and confidence.
- Play games that involve taking turns and encourage fair play and good sportsmanship.
- Give your child one and two-step directions to follow and praise them when they follow them correctly.
- Help your child practice writing his or her first name. Start with a capital letter, and then use lowercase for the rest.
- Adjust your child’s sleeping and eating times to the school-year schedule.
- As the first day nears, stay positive about school- and proud of your child!
It’s going to be a great year!
KINDER & TK PLAYDATE
When: August 13th, 2018 - various times. You were emailed a time. Call office if you didn't receive an email.
Where: Room K2
Come meet your new kindergarten teachers and some of your fellow classmates. We will be doing a few fun activities with your children to introduce them to Canyon Kindergarten. Each session will be approximately 45 minutes.
While the children are in the classroom, there will be information for the parents on the porch. You will receive an email with your child’s assigned time. If you are unable to attend at your assigned time, we cannot accommodate changes, and we look forward to seeing you on the first day of school, August 14th, 2017 at 8:10a.m.