Volunteering At Canyon
You are an important piece to our community puzzle! Canyon needs your help in making a difference in the lives and education of our children. Please take a minute to look over the volunteer categories on this and see the Canyon Events below, and let us know if you find anything that you might be interested in volunteering for.
The Chairs for each committee will then contact you regarding time, dates and other specifics. It is our goal to have every family commit to 10 hours of volunteering this calendar year. That’s 1 hour per month. There is an opportunity for each and every family to participate.
If you are interested in becoming involved with a particular event, but don't know who to contact, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the appropriate people.
Director of Canyon Volunteers
VOLUNTEER FOR BOOSTER CLUB and/or GOVERNING BOARD COMMITTEES
There are so many opportunities for community involvement at Canyon Charter School that require skills and talents that you may possess. There are also unlimited jobs that require no specific talent, just a desire to get involved. Because we are always adding volunteers, implementing suggestions and developing our programs, volunteering is a continually evolving enterprise. We welcome and appreciate volunteers at all levels of skill and commitment.
- Book Fair (Fall, Spring) – Volunteers help plan, set up and staff the two book fairs held in the Fall and Spring. Committee Members attend a few pre-event meetings where various jobs are assigned. More volunteers are needed to cover shifts during the event.
- The Auction (Late Winter) – This is now a nightime parents only event that will be held in February. Volunteer jobs include pre-auction administrative work, soliciting donations, creating a Silent Auction catalog, design and set-up of Auction area, staffing the day of the event.
- Olympics Day (Spring) – This is a school wide sports event, for which parents volunteer to count the number of laps run by each student and calculate the money raised by the students themselves.
- Fiesta (Spring) – The committee coordinates and arranges the multi-faceted activities that are a part of Canyon’s over 100-year-old tradition. Jobs include advertising, acquiring sponsorships, volunteer coordinating, food and entertainment, and administration.
- Teacher Appreciation (Spring) – This committee hosts a luncheon at a Canyon home each Spring as a way to show gratitude for the wonderful contribution that our teachers make at Canyon.
- Back to School/End of the Year Picnics – This is a great opportunity to relax at Canyon and meet up with friends after summer break or say goodbye at the end of the school year.
- Open House (Fall) – Visit with the teachers and classrooms to see the nuts and bolts of what your children have been working on this year. This is a parent only event, where you will meet your Room Parents and other key figures at school.
- Parent Party (Fall) – This has become an annual party with the opportunity to bid on parties in the future.
- Canyon Gear – Committee members design and sell the school spirit attire.
- Pumpkin Patch- October – Volunteers are needed to price and sell pumpkins and baked goods.
- Annual Giving – The Annual Giving Campaign is one of the largest non-participative fundraisers at Canyon and these funds make up a substantial portion of the Booster Club budget.
- Chronicle e-Newspaper and Website – The Canyon Chronicle is the weekly school newsletter. Along with www.canyoncharter.com you have the most up-to-date and comprehensive guide to school activities at your finger tips.
- Safety Committee – The Safety Committee develops and implements the Safe School Plan, insures and promotes safety throughout the campus and facilitates preparedness in the event of an emergency.
- Traffic Safety – Every family at Canyon has a responsibility to participate in Traffic Safety Duty. A Coordinator and classroom liaisons are needed to coordinate parent volunteers.
- Planning & Design – This committee maintains and ensures the school is an attractive, integral part of the community which reflects the natural environmental resources of Santa Monica Canyon and that serves (but is not limited to) these needs: recreational, historical, environmental, aesthetic and maintainable.
- Technology – Assist in the coordination of all media and technology needs at Canyon Charter School
- Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer - Keep our finance in good order.
- Photography – Parents are encouraged to photograph all the wonderful events at Canyon and forward theirs pictures for use on the website and in the Chronicle.
- Harvest Market – Farmer’s market crates of produce are delivered to school for participating families. Canyon’s profit will be designated for the growth and upkeep of the Canyon Harvest Project.