Volunteering At Canyon
You are an important piece to our community puzzle! Canyon needs your help in making a difference in the lives and education of our children. In addition to the events and committees described below, please check with your child's teacher to learn about in class volunteer opportunities or to be a room parent.
The Chairs for each committee will then contact you regarding time, dates and other specifics. It is our goal to have every family commit to 10 hours of volunteering this calendar year. That’s 1 hour per month. There is an opportunity for each and every family to participate.
If you are interested in becoming involved with a particular event, but don't know who to contact, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the appropriate people.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application annually at LAUSD Volunteer Application and submit it to the school office.
VOLUNTEER FOR BOOSTER CLUB and/or GOVERNING COUNCIL COMMITTEES
There are so many opportunities for community involvement at Canyon Charter School that require skills and talents that you may possess. There are also unlimited jobs that require no specific talent, just a desire to get involved. Because we are always adding volunteers, implementing suggestions and developing our programs, volunteering is a continually evolving enterprise. We welcome and appreciate volunteers at all levels of skill and commitment.
- Book Fair – Volunteers help plan, set up, and staff the book fair held in the Spring. Committee Members attend a few pre-event meetings where various jobs are assigned. More volunteers are needed to cover shifts during the event.
- Green Book Sale – This is a used book sale where all the proceeds go to benefit our school library and any remaining books are donated to a worthy cause. More volunteers are needed to cover shifts during the event.
- The Auction (Spring) – This is a silent auction held during the spring. Volunteer jobs include pre-auction administrative work, soliciting donations, creating a Silent Auction catalog, design and set-up of Auction area, staffing the day of the event.
- Olympics Day (Fall) – This is a school wide sports event, for which parents volunteer to count the number of laps run by each student and keep the event running smoothly.
- Fiesta (Spring) – The committee coordinates and arranges the multi-faceted activities that are a part of Canyon’s special over 100-year-old tradition. Jobs include advertising, acquiring sponsorships, volunteer coordinating, food and entertainment, and administration.
- Teacher Appreciation (Spring) – This committee hosts a luncheon at a Canyon home each Spring as a way to show gratitude for the wonderful contribution that our teachers make at Canyon. Back to School/End of the Year Picnics – This is a great opportunity to relax at Canyon and meet up with friends after summer break or say goodbye at the end of the school year.
- Back to School Night (Fall) – Visit with the teachers and classrooms to see the nuts and bolts of what your children have been working on this year. This is a parent only event, where you will meet your Room Parents and other key figures at school.
- Parent Party (Fall launch and throughout the year) – Committee members are the liaison between party hosts and party goers helping to promote and make sure that everything runs smoothly all year.
- Canyon Gear (Fall) – Committee members design and sell the school spirit attire.
- Pumpkin Patch (October) – Volunteers are needed to price and sell pumpkins and baked goods.
- Annual Giving (all year) – Committee helps with our largest fundraiser of the year which forms the majority of our operating budget.
- Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer – Keep our finances in good order.
- Chronicle e-Newspaper and Website – The Canyon Chronicle is the weekly school newsletter. Along with www.canyoncharter.com you have the most up-to-date and comprehensive guide to school activities at your finger tips.
- Traffic Safety – Every family at Canyon has a responsibility to participate in Traffic Safety Duty. A Coordinator and classroom liaisons are needed to coordinate parent volunteers.
- Photography – Parents are encouraged to photograph all the wonderful events at Canyon and forward theirs pictures for use on the website and in the Chronicle.
Governing Council Committees
- Safety Committee – This committee develops and implements the Safe School Plan, ensures and promotes safety throughout the campus and facilitates preparedness in the event of an emergency.
- Landscape & Design Committee – This committee maintains and ensures the school is an attractive, integral part of the community which reflects the natural environmental resources of Santa Monica Canyon and that serves (but is not limited to) these needs: recreational, historical, environmental, aesthetic and maintainable.
- Digital Learning Committee – On this committee you can help assist in the coordination of all media and technology needs at Canyon Charter School.
- Community Service Committee – This committee helps develop projects that seek to foster an understanding and positive connection between Canyon students and the local and global community.
- Curriculum Committee – This committee oversees curriculum, including recommended texts and professional development.
- Schoolwide Positive Behavior Committee – The behavior committee helps ensure the safety of all students in a variety of settings, both on the playground and in the classroom.